Sunday, August 15, 2010

creation, discovery or both?

Are we here to find ourselves or invent ourselves, find our purpose or create it, discovery or creation? So many of the wonderful texts that I have read on spiritual development, living your life on purpose and fulfillment seem to be at least on the suface at cross purposes on this question. On the one hand, I am encouraged to stop, breathe, relax, let it flow, meditate, dream, visualize, manage my thoughts and imagine. On the other hand, I am here to create and to manifest my reality and myself. I am a co-creator with God..capable of calling on the depth and width of the universe to improve my reality. Use your talents, fulfull your passion, your gifts and your desires to fill your life. As a magnet on my refrigerator says "life is not about finding yourself, but about creating yourself."

So which is it - create or discover..or a bit of both? I will admit that my natural tendencies used to be toward action and movement. The acts of introspection and discovery were challenging at first when I wanted to just get cracking and make it happen. Now, I have discovered the fun of peeling back the layers of life and of myself and revel in the aha moments - now a joyous part of my life. To dream about what might be possible, remember what brings me passion and happiness, visualizing my opportunities are all second nature now. So how do I make it all happen..is it time to step up and re-engage the creation portion of the equation? Have I gone so far to the dreaming side of the process, that I need to take more action? When do you let it flow and when do you act?

Perhaps life is about both - discovery/dreaming and creation/manifestation. Maybe, the first step is to spend the time and mental, emotional and spiritual energy to dream, visualize and discover one's passion, dreams, long forgotten talents and true soul's purpose. Step two is action - the creation and manifestation of those dreams and desires. The process is fluid, continual and never ending... The rub, I think- where we get screwed up - is in making sure thsat step one and two are in sync. Is what you are trying to create and bring into your life in alignment with step one? Will your actions and efforts to create, develop or build result in bringing to life your dreams, desires and life's purpose.

Writing seems like the perfect example. To tell a story, you need to dream, think, imagine the characters, do the research, let the story flow into and or through you. You also have to do the work- schedule the time in front of the computer, write, get the words on paper, edit, re-write, read, re-write again and make it happen. The process requires the whole equation.

When step one and two are in sync- life seems smoother, as though it has purpose and rhythm. You are more peaceful and content and full. Life doesn't seem to be so much about seeking, trying to make things fit that don't or looking for what's missing. Life seems fuller, more peaceful and on track. I have been on both sides of this equation at different phases of my life. Time to take a look at where I am now and celebrate both discovery and creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment