Sunday, April 11, 2010

Spring break bookshelf

I took the opportunity over the past week to indulge in one of my favorite past times - reading. I can honestly say that I love the written word - fiction, non-fiction... you name it and I will give it a try. I checked out my bookshelves this week and they are overflowing. I tend to buy books vs.check them out from the library- not the wisest fiscal choice but it is one of the few treats that I allow myself. I consider books an investment, often pulling them down to reread - or pass on like a treasure to friends. A review of my shelves this week found me going down memory lane with a few reads that I had forgotten that I own. I found themes among the titles, times when I have been fascinated by various cultures: tons of Asian authors from Ha Jin to Amy Tan to Jhumpa Lahiri (had a spell when I was fascinated with India), Latin-American authors,African- American writers and a number of works by Jewish storytellers. Here are a few of my favorites- by NO means an exhaustive list...just the first handful I came across on shelves one to three..

"The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver- one of my all time favorites. She is an amazing writer and her characters feel so real that you swear that you know them. This story of a missionary who takes his wife and daughters to Africa is one of her best. Each chapter is told from the point of view of a different family member. I read an interview with the author who said that she wrote a version of each chapter from every character's position and then selected the one that best fit as the book came together.. Amazing amount of work and vision by this talented woman.

"The Lost Daughters of China" by Karin Evans..subtitled Abandoned Girls, Their Journey to America and the Search for a Missing Past. A must read for anyone who has or is considering adopting a Chinese child. The writer is a journalist and mother of a Chinese daughter who defines the complex problem of abandonment of female babies and children and adoption - she does not oversimplify the issue or villify anyone in the situation. Published in 2000 - the year after I adopted Lily, this book answered questions, felt so familiar and is extraordinary.

"Expecting Adam" by Martha Beck - yes this is the same woman who now is a life coach and writes for O Magazine. This book is a memoir of when she was pregnant with her son Adam and she was informed that he would be born with Downs Syndrome. At the time, Martha had another child, was married and avidly pursuing an advanced degree at Harvard - known for intellectual pursuit and perfection. It was certainly not an environment where carrying this "imperfect" child to term and being excited about his arrival were widely accepted. The experiences that she has while expecting Adam were miraculous, other worldy and simply not able to be explained away by science or logic. He is a blessing beyond imagining in her life. An amazing book.

"The Joy Luck Club," "The Kitchen God's Wife," "Saving Fish From Drowning," "The Bonesetter's Daughter" - all by Amy Tan. Maybe it is because my children are Chinese, perhaps because they girls.. but I love her work. I get absorbed easily in her tales of family, Chinese culture, duty and love. When I crack open an Amy Tan novel at bedtime, I have to be careful because the next thing I know it is 3 am and I have been lost for hours in her words.

"Man's Search For Meaning" by Victor Frankl and "Night" by Elie Wiesel - what can you say about two amazing pieces of work about one of the most horrific times in history and human experiences- the Holocaust. How in the world do you survive such and experience with not just your body but your mind and spirit intact?

"The Secret of Jin-Shei" - by Alma Alexander - in the spririt of "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan: -this novel tells the story of connection between women in ancient China. Thought of as property, chattel, a nuisance and inferior, women bonded together to survive. This is the first time that I learned because women in ancient China were not allowed to learn to read and write, they actually created their own language, passed it onto their daughters and corresponded by writing inside of fans..

"Reading Lolita in Tehran" by Azar Nafisi - Reading in secret...learning in secret - why? Because you are a woman and the Islamic Republic of Iran has forbidden that you do so. As you read this book, you get drawn into the world's of the characters and their lives, there is so much more to these women than the political circumstances in which they find themsleves. Ultimately a story about triumph and the power of words.

"Many Lives..Many Masters." by Brian Weiss MD - Weiss is an Ivy League trained, very practical psychiatrist trying to help his patients overcome their fears and phobias. He uses hypnosis to try and find the root of his patients issues in childhood and in the case of Catherine finds that the hypnosis goes back further - to her past lives. The door seems to have cracked open and this cynical doctor finds his patients benefit from these past life regressions..but he benefits even more. Whatever your belief in reincarnation - this book is fascinating, actually makes sense and may leave you saying..hmmmm.

"Cane River" by Lalita Tademy- wonderful book..one of those novels that are really hard to put down. It is about four women who begin their lives in slavery, survive war, injustice and prejudice. Based in Louisiana it is steeped in Creole culture and you will be amazed at the strength of the women portrayed in the book. I am always horrified when I read about slavery - especially from the perspective of women- and how easily families were split, husbands sent away and children sold away from mothers. How could any rational human being ever think that was OK?

"Thirteen Senses" by Victor Villesnor - what keeps a couple married for 50 years? This is a fabulous story of a family, passion, magic and the marriage of Salvador and Lupe. It is funny, sad, and told in a unique voice. I loved it.

"Daughter of Fortune" by Isabel Allende - while I love everything she has ever written, this is my favorite. It hops from Chile to California in the gold rush to Hong Kong. Her books are so detailed that you think you can see, feel and taste the experience. This book makes me wonder- what would I be willing to do for love? What chances would I be willing to take?

" The Seat of the Soul" - hang on to your hats and open your mind - way open in fact-for Gary Zukav's unique take on the soul, God, our relationships to one another and to the greater universe. The combination of spirituality and quantum physics make this a fascinating read. In my case..re-read... because some chapters certainly require me to tackle them again to get a greater understanding of the concepts.

"Betty Crocker's New Cookbook- everything you know to learn to cook" - first cookbook I ever purchased and how I learned to cook. Frankly better than the Joy of Cooking due to the photographs so you know if what you concocted looks like it is supposed to.

For the beach - any book by Jennifer Weiner - while considered "chick lit" I think her books are wonderful - well written and completely absorbing.

Again, this is just taste of my bookself. Hopefully my spring cleaning will allow me to re-discover some more old favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment