Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Sisters....

Today I read the final version of something that brought tears to my eyes and left me feeling happiness, pride and peace. Lily had the assignment of doing a creative writing exercise about one of the most important people in her life. It could be a story or a poem, including song lyrics, and needed to describe why the selected person was so influential in her life. No, my child did not select her mother,,, she wanted "someone cooler, sorry mom."

Lily wrote about her big sister, D, -my remarkable step-daughter who is now a senior in college. Even though her father and I divorced over 5 years ago, I still love her as my own and consider D my step-daughter. She and Lily and Avery are incredibly close.

The story was beautifully written and conveyed emotions that my usually un-sentimental eleven year old daughter does not normally express in words. I would include the essay, but it is not mine to share, it belongs to Lily and her sister. They are her words, her feelings and not mine to give to others. I reminded Lily that the feelings that she expressed so originally and completely are deeply felt and shared by someone else in her life. They are quite similar to the feelings that her little sister, Avery, has for Lily.

I was reminded again today of the real meaning of family. It is so much more than the connection between parent and child. The connection of my girls with one another and between them and their big sister is deep, soulful and is not about me. We share love, of course, but it it absolutely fills my heart to the brim to see them together and to read about their love for one another.

The sense of peace that this brings to me as parent can not be fully described. They will have one another and can be there for one another long after I am gone. It is amazing to know that they will be in each other's lives when mine is complete. That may sound morbid, but it is a very real truth that gives me joy. They will treasure, value and lift one another up through good times and bad... just have my sister and I have in our lives.

Hooray for family- brothers and sisters, step-families, cousins, friends who are family.... The love will get us through anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment