Thursday, July 29, 2010

Gorgeous sunsets and another year..

What a way to spend a birthday - watching a gorgeous sunset over the ocean. It really is an awe inspiring sight. According to Avery, it looks like the ocean just swallows up the sun. And quickly since in a matter of minutes, that beautiful orange blob is just a memory leaving beautiful colors in its wake. Feels that way sometimes as another year passes -where did the time go? Before you know it, that year is gone, swallowed up by time. Just like that and the time is gone. Surely memories and the impact of the time remain; some as beautiful colors and some with darker hues.

I am entering my 47th year with a feeling of change and restlessness gnawing at me that I can't fully define. Some of it is certainly work related with changes underway to my current role and other opportunities ahead. I think part of the restlessness is due to the fact that the sun does seem to sink a little faster every year. Time does seem to go by more quickly. And turning 47 is not a big deal in terms of aging. I got over the aging issue many years ago, in fact growing older has distinct advantages. I am more concerned about what is left as of yet undone. I am very blessed and grateful for the wonderful things in my life - chief among them my incredible kids, health, friends and the ability to provide for my family. I know I have accomplished much, and at the same time, I have the distinct feeling that there is alot more left here for me to do. I have to put my finger on what it is- work based, writing, more kids, spiritual growth, love, partnership? Ever feel as though you are not quite complete? not quite doing enough or fully using your gifts? That you had better snap to it and start doing so before the big orange blob sinks down again?

As amazing as this wonderful week was with my kids, I have yet to completely relax.. the little bits of things left undone still not quite done. I am not there yet. Perhaps we never ever feel "done" and that is on purpose so we continue to savor the wonderful sweet mystery of life and stay plugged in, alive and moving forward. But this feels different..change is around me in a way that I can feel, taste and sense.

I say bring it on 47! I am more than ready for the changes! After all, following a gorgeous sunset is an equally dazzling sunrise...

No comments:

Post a Comment