Thursday, October 14, 2010

Changing the world?

I have had some energizing conversations lately with people dedicated to changing the world - literally, transforming people's lives. Fighting disease, ensuring clean water is safe in developing countries, teaching, protecting and empowering girls and women... Making a difference and strengthening connections with others have always been personal and professional goals of mine- my career has been dedicated so far to the non-profit world. I try to make sure that my personal choices: how and where I volunteer, what I read, write and study, donate and how I raise my family reflect this goal. Is changing the world for the better, too lofty of a personal goal?

The challenge on the professional side of the equation is balancing idealism with realism. For instance, the need to make sure that I can support my family through my work. Finding that balance is often tricky because on the one hand you want to follow your heart and passion..on the other, there are bills to pay, braces needed and college tuition looming in the future.

I have come to realize that the balance is possible, if you focus on the broader perspective. For instance, passions can be followed and pursued as a volunteer. I can write about adoption, spiritual connection and volunteer to talk to prospective parents but don't need to look for a job running an adoption agency. I can expose my children to some reality of the world around them and how they can improve it while still giving them a stable and joy filled childhood.

I read a fascinating article by Martha Beck in this month's O magazine about finding your life's purpose. Discovering what you love to do now and used to love as a child, what gets you in the zone and causes you to lose track of time. These can be important keys. However, translating that to a purpose in life is a bit trickier - you love to bake....that does not necessarily mean you want to or should want to open a bakery. But, what is it about baking that is so appealing - creativity, research/searching for recipes, following and/or testing recipes, feeding others, the sensual aspects - rolling dough, smell of baking cookies. Those may be the keys that you look for to find life's purpose- be it professional or personal.

My trigger is that I do need to feel that my professional life is an extension of my personal mission to make a difference and positively impact the world. I feel as though my life would be wasted if I don't try to make the impact that I believe that I can. I feel this burning need to teach about how interconnected we all are on a deep level. I am going to be mad at myself on my deathbed if I have not written some of the things that I need to and have not yet done. Certainly, I have made some decisions in my life that have been spot on correct and necessary for my life to have purpose - prime example is adopting my daughters.

As I sit here at 47 - midlife and mid-career (yes mid-career: I will be working at something forever), I remind myself of that fact. Yes, non-profit work has its challenges, but for now it does resonate with me and allow me the ability to make a difference. For others, that purpose and ability to change the world may come from a professional life in the for profit sector - starting a business, creating art or music that brings joy, working for a company and being a great manager and coach, creating much needed jobs, making a great salary and generous donations... The key , I think, is finding your own passion and purpose and fulfilling it in a heart centered, generous way.

If we don't try to change the world...who will?

No comments:

Post a Comment