Monday, October 25, 2010

Dreams, sleep, messages from my Dad ??

Have you ever had one of those dreams that seems so real, so intense that it stays with you all day, even if you try shake it? My favorite are when you wake up irritated at someone because of a dream. I had one of those last night and I wish I could remember all of the details.

My late father was in my dream last night. Not a dream about my father, but he seemed to actually be in my dream visiting me- fully recognizing that he was dead and reaching out to me. He was specifically here to give me career advice, that I unfortunately do not clearly recall. To make it stranger, he told me too look up something- to research it (of course I don't remember what it is) to prove he was real. Then my siblings were with me. My sister and I could see and hear my dad and my brothers could only feel him if they reached out. We had to sort of prove to them that he was really there. Then in the crazy way that dreams begin to shift scenes..he was gone but sending me advice by text message! Modern technology invaded this space. How strange it all seemed to be.

I have had intuitive dreams before. I remember before I learned of my ex-husband's affair (during the affair actually) that would end our marriage, I had these vivid dreams where I could not find him and a feeling of panic and sadness would wash over me. I would call and call him on the phone and he seemed to have disappeared. I would wake up and he would tell me I was imagining thimgs and to go back to sleep. The day I found out about the affair - the exact same feeling washed over me -it was downright eerie.

Of course, these two dreams are very different but I am left wondering what this latest one means. Is this my subconscious trying to tell me something? Could my father really be reaching out to me? And most importantly what was his great advice? I remember asking him in the dream, "isn't it hard for you to be here, when you are supposed to be on the other side?, can you go back and forth?" I did not get an answer but woke up with the aha moment of perception that perhaps he wasn't fully there yet because my mom is still here- they were married for 53 years and he didn't quite want to leave, even though he passed away five years ago.

I guess I need to keep a pad and paper next to my bed to capture whatever dream state wisdom comes my way. Sleep is critical for health of all types - mental, physical, emotional - it restores, heals....perhaps it connects as well. Perhaps when the mind gets that quiet then anwers come for tough questions. I wonder where those answers originate?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Laurie --

    I've had these sorts of dreams ever since I was a kid. Once, my cousin specifically told me to call her husband to let him know I'd spoken with her -- but I didn't want to, since some of what she told me was pretty painful. Sure enough, I ran into the husband a week or two later, told him about the dream, and he just laughed. "She told me if she couldn't reach me, she'd come to you," he said. "I've been waiting for you to call me."

    Perhaps you will receive a text soon that will reflect on you work somehow? Just keep a very open mind!

    Annie C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie, I so believe in this! Ever since my Mom passed away and more recently with Daddy, I know both have visited me numerous times in dreams. I have always felt it is their way to comfort me and give me the guidance they can't here. Trust your gut and instincts!

    ReplyDelete