Sunday, March 21, 2010

I did it!!!

13.1 miles - a 1/2 marathon! The alarm went off at 5 a.m. and I must admit that I was tired. Even though I went to bed at a crazy, early hour- I did not sleep too well. Arrived and the rain was on the way. 7 am the race begins. I was further back in the crowd since I was walking a large part of the event.

I ran the first mile and a half, then walked, then ran occasionally - especially when going downhill! LOL. Pain did ensue - a headache for some strange reason but most of all sore feet. My legs felt OK - but something tells me my legs and butt are going to hurt tomorrow.

The first 8 miles felt pretty smooth and the route was really beautiful - through midtown, Old Fourth Ward, Inman Park, Little Five Points, Poncey Highland, Virginia Highland. I was reminded again how lovely Atlanta is and the gorgeous old homes helped to distract me from the fact that there are some hills in this glorious city!

Mile 10 - got a bit tired...feet really starting to hurt. Fortunately, I had some great folks next to me and we all agreed to help each other through it. Plus I had he knowledge that I was raising money for the American Cancer Society. My friend Lisa is battling breast cancer and if she can endure surgery, chemo and radiation, I could surely handle this little bit of pain.

Mile 11 - wonderful sight to see. And then the paths (1/2 marathon and full) were once again next to each other. It was mind boggling to me to see these athletes. We round to mile 12 - mile 24 for them! The last few miles were hard in some ways but easier than others in that the end was near. You could see the CNN building in the distance so I just knew it was possible. The last 1/2 mile or so was the best, crossing that fabulous finish line.

I am rather proud of myself!! 46 years old and finished my first half marathon! The best part of the whole experience was my 11 year old daughter Lily high fiving me and saying, "Mom, you awesome." Another plus - decided that today I can eat anything I want. So this goal in my reinvention is complete! I now feel inspired to continue on this healthy journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment