Monday, March 8, 2010

music and potential

Tonight was a "cluster" concert for five elementary school, two middle school and a high school orchestra. The music was wonderful and of course, I love watching Lily play the cello. One of the best parts of the evening was watching the younger kids as the high school orchestra played. You could see that they were in awe of the teenagers; trying to comprehend that at one point these wonderful musicians were once beginners.

As I watched, listened and observed my daughter play her cello, I felt a wave of emotion and tears filled my eyes. Thank God she could not see me or she would have been mortfied. I was overwhelmed with the thought of all of these young, talented people playing their hearts out. What potential! I just looked at my daughter in all of her intensity, beauty and 11 year old attitude and marveled about what the future will hold for her. What will she do with her life? What sort of adult will she be? What joys will she experience? How will she deal with the challenges that she will face? Sometimes as a parent, I wish that I could put into her brain all that I have learned over the years. Imagine having all of that potential and future along with the knowledge of experience. Of course, that would rob her of the joy of life and the discovery of who she is deep inside.

The potential of my daughter and all of these kids just made me pause and gave me hope for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment