Sunday, November 15, 2009

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun!

Reinvention and dating part two... I love the quote from Katharine Hepburn in the the title of this post. It sums up how I am approaching dating while on my reinvention journey. Had a fabulous date last night with L, even more fun than the last one. And yes, all of the "dating" rules have been thrown out the window.

In particular, L is freshly divorced. As anyone in the dating after divorce world knows, that is usually a red flag to future heartbreak as is it rare for relationship that springs right after divorce to last. I have been the "transition" person in another situation and it can be painful. But, frankly in this case I have to quote another famous person - Rhett Butler- "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." I like L, enjoy spending time with him and he appears to feel the same way and the chemistry is amazing. He is truly a nice guy in addition to being handsome and fun. So the "no dating a newly divorced man rule" gets thrown out. I am having too much fun and and am too attracted to this man to care.

So I am going to enjoy the ride, enjoy this experience for as long as it lasts. Will I start to care for him and want a relationship at some point that he is not ready for? Maybe or maybe not. Perhaps this will bloom into something wonderful and become a relationship in spite of the "rules" and conventional wisdom. Perhaps not and it will be a wonderful, more short term ride. In any case, I will be damned if I am going to miss the experience because I might get hurt or be disappointed. I have survived heartbreak and disappointment before and would not pass up the joy that came before the pain. Life is too short to obey all the rules and miss all the fun! So bring it L! I am ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment