Monday, November 23, 2009

Know Your Worth

One of my all time favorite movies is the Joy Luck Club based on the book by Amy Tan. It is one of my go to movies when I need the inspiration to write. A line in the movie that has stuck with me over the years is between mother and daughter and the mother admonishes her daughter to "know what you are worth." Seems that knowing that may be akin to and as important as knowing yourself.

My quest for reinvention revolves in large part around living authentically and being true to myself. After years of self-exploration, I have come to realize that selling myself short, settling for less than I might deserve in work and/or relationships is an issue with me. There is a very cool book by Caroline Myss, PhD called "The Sacred Contract" that details the historical archtypes - we all have a number of archtypes in ourselves and the one that reflects the situation that I just described is the "Prostitute." Now I am not calling myself a hooker here as it is not meant to be taken literally - but the essence is about selling yourself short, selling out, being taken advantage of..and I guess ultimately not being true to yourself.

My "aha" moment today was that living authentically means more than doing what I want and living for today, more than not playing games in the dating world and expressing myself honestly to others. That is a great start. But for me, living authentically means digging a little deeper. It means honoring my authentic self and knowing my worth even if it means a relationship morphs or ends, a man leaves, or expectations change. I know my worth and I am worth alot...

No comments:

Post a Comment